• Advertisement

Dog Breeds That Like And Are Good With Cats

師傳帶進門,修行看個人

Dog Breeds That Like And Are Good With Cats

帖子admin » 周二 12月 06, 2016 4:58 pm

https://pethelpful.com/dogs/five-dog-br ... -like-cats
We've all heard the phrase "fighting like cats and dogs." But that doesn't have to be the case. I have treated a lot of corneal lacerations over the years because people think that any old dog is suited for any old cat, but if you put care into the type of dog or cat you select, there are plenty of great dogs out there willing to share their beds and blankets with a good cat.

Often dog breeds that are known for being good with kids are also good with cats, though not necessarily—there is still a lot of debate in this area. The list of cat-friendly dogs here is not perfect, but it does reflect my personal experience. None of the dogs I have met from these breeds have had a problem with cats, but as I said, there are always sure to be exceptions.

So what are the five dog breeds that get along best with cats?

Beagle

Click thumbnail to view full-size
It doesn't matter whether your cat is a domestic short hair or a domestic long hairâ€, Beagles love them all.Beagles are so good with cats, that some of them will even climb the furniture to hang out with their feline friends.
It doesn't matter whether your cat is a domestic short hair or a domestic long hairâ€, Beagles love them all.
It doesn't matter whether your cat is a domestic short hair or a domestic long hairâ€, Beagles love them all. | Source
This small scent hound was originally bred to be a hunter, but beagles do amazingly well with cats. While they will usually chase cats while out in the yard, they treat cats gently inside the house and will snuggle up contentedly with any cat that shares their living space.

However, keep in mind that a beagle is not the right breed for everyone. They are okay as watch dogs but make friends too easily to be guards. They are also not easy to train, so if you are looking for a dog to obediently follow household commands, you need to search elsewhere. Beagles are famous for ignoring anyone calling them home when they have found an interesting scent and are following it where it leads.

This breed is also vocal; although they do not bark much, they do tend to howl. A lot. If you cannot handle the howling, you might look for another dog breed that will get along with your cats.

Another thing to keep in mind is that this breed tends to get overweight without exercise. If you get a beagle, make sure to exercise him daily.

Boxer

Boxers are great with cats, well, at times they are a little possesive.
Boxers are great with cats, well, at times they are a little possesive. | Source
This great dog breed will more likely wrestle with your cat than try to do her any damage. However, most boxers are strong and lively, so they need a tough cat to play with.

Unlike the beagle, this dog can serve as a good guard dog. Boxers are also fairly easy to train and almost always respond to their owners. If you want a big dog who is good with the family and great with your cat, this breed is a good choice.

Bichon Frisé

A bichon looking cute.A pair of bichon frisés with haircuts fit for a show.
A bichon looking cute.
A bichon looking cute. | Source
This is a very happy, very social dog breed that will likely view a cat as just another small playmate. Just make sure that you have a playful cat. For very laid-back cats, you will need to supervise their interactions closely, since the bichon may be a little too happy at times when the cat wants to be left alone. If the cat is not a cuddler, a bichon might find himself a canina non grata. Several sites also list this dog as one of the best breeds for a family. In fact, they are so loving, my main worry about the Bichon is that he might miss you too much when you're not around.

The bichon frisé is a small dog, and his white coat doesn’t shed much but does need to be taken care of. These dogs need to be trimmed and brushed like a poodle and bathed regularly; if they are ignored, they can develop some serious matts and skin diseases. They are easy to train, fun to have around, and will not bark excessively once they get to know the visitor.

Do you want a small companion to keep your house busy and your young cat occupied? The bichon might be a great choice.

A pair of Bichons with haircuts fit for a show.
A pair of Bichons with haircuts fit for a show. | Source

Golden Retriever

An old golden retriever and his good friend.
An old golden retriever and his good friend. | Source
This dog is one of the best dog breeds with kids and is also tolerant around most other pets in the household. They are excellent with cats of all sizes and ages. The golden retriever is unlikely to be rough with your cat even when playing, and, like most dogs, will just consider the cat part of his family if they are introduced while he's still a puppy.

They are not good guard dogs but they will protect a kitten that they have decided to nurse and raise. Goldens are considered one of the easiest breeds to obedience train and are willing to do almost anything, sometimes to the point of exhaustion. If you want a great family dog, a hard worker, and a good companion, the golden is an excellent dog.

Maltese

Maltese dogs are so small they can share any space with a cat.A cat-sized Maltese chatting with his bro.
Maltese dogs are so small they can share any space with a cat.
Maltese dogs are so small they can share any space with a cat. | Source
The smallest of the dog breeds that likes cats, the Maltese is a slacker who sometimes just lies around on the couch and ignores anything else going on, including the activities of a cat. In fact, maybe this dog does not really like cats; he just knows better than to ask the cat to move off of his favorite spot. That is a good thing. It would take a tough Maltese to take on even a lazy cat.

Normally they are small lap dogs that don’t care for much more than hanging out, which makes them one of the best breeds for a first-time dog owner. However, if they have an opportunity to play and their opponent does not outweigh them ten to one, the Maltese can be an entertaining member of the household. This is a great dog breed for both new and old cats, because they are unlikely to mess with a new member of the family but are also fine with a cat that just wants to be left alone.

A Maltese and a kitten.
A Maltese and a kitten. | Source
Dogs That May Not Do Well With Cats

My personal observation is that almost any dog is willing to accept cats in his environment, as long as the cat is willing to accept him. When I owned Siberian Huskies, even they would leave the cats alone because my cats were able to move around our garden and remain aloof. Terriers have a bad reputation when it comes to cats, but I have often spoken with owners of Westies and Cairn terriers that get along fine with mellow cats. The sighthounds might be an exception to the rule, since they have been bred with a very strong prey instinct, but I have heard stories of retired greyhounds that do okay with cats in their house. It is important that the cat does not run and act like prey; some dogs never seem to understand the concept that all pets are part of the family.

Anyway, although there are sure to be plenty of people who disagree, here is my list of dog breeds that do not usually do well with cats:

• Sled Dogs (Siberian Huskies, Alaskan Malamutes, etc)

• Sight Hounds (Whippets, Salukis, Azawakh, and some others)

• Terriers (Jack Russel Terrier, Rat Terrier, etc)

• Guard dogs (this can vary a lot but some breeds like the Presa Canario, Cane Corso, and Fila Brasileiro usually do not do well with small animals in their territory.)

But, as I mentioned above, a lot of those dogs can do okay if introduced to a cat early in life.

What About Dog-Loving Cats?

The ragdoll is a great cat around dogs.
The ragdoll is a great cat around dogs. | Source
The Siberian is a big cat that puts up with a lot from dogs.
The Siberian is a big cat that puts up with a lot from dogs. | Source
The Maine coon cat does well with dogs.
The Maine coon cat does well with dogs. | Source
If you do not yet have a cat, it is also a good idea to get a cat breed that like dogs. Not all cats will put up with a canine companion in the house, and some dogs (especially breeds like the pug, with its protruding eyes) can be hurt by an aggressive cat. Ragdoll, Siberian, and Maine coon cats are all muscular cats that are large enough to feel confident around dogs. This means they are less likely to feel threatened and try to run away when your dog approaches them. There are many other breeds to choose from, of course.

My personal observation is that almost any dog is willing to accept cats in his environment, as long as the cat is willing to accept him. When I owned Siberian Huskies, even they would leave the cats alone because my cats were able to move around our garden and remain aloof. Terriers have a bad reputation when it comes to cats, but I have often spoken with owners of Westies and Cairn terriers that get along fine with mellow cats. The sighthounds might be an exception to the rule, since they have been bred with a very strong prey instinct, but I have heard stories of retired greyhounds that do okay with cats in their house. It is important that the cat does not run and act like prey; some dogs never seem to understand the concept that all pets are part of the family.

There are other breeds you might consider if you are looking for a dog breed that likes cats, but these five dogs are a great place to start.

More Articles About Choosing A Dog

Five Great Dog Breeds That Live Long Lives
Are you looking for a breed of dog that will stay with you for years? These five great dog breeds will keep you active for many, many years.
Five Great Dog Breeds for an Apartment
Are you thinking about getting a dog but need a breed that will fit into your apartment? These five breeds are all great and can do well in a small area.
Five Dog Breeds That Don't Bark, Much
If you want a dog breed that does not bark much and instead behaves more like a cat, learn more about quiet dog breeds such as the shiba inu.

Share/分享:
懶得有理_____難得有你
think unique,be special
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

帖子: 3397
注册: 周六 5月 22, 2010 7:54 pm
威望: 0

回到 新貓入門vs老貓分享

在线用户

正在浏览此论坛的用户:没有注册用户 和 1 位游客